Wednesday, December 15, 2004

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year...?

It’s supposed to be the “Most Wonderful Time of the Year”, but sadly I’m not really feeling it. Haha…I know I can’t stop complaining about the exam period. I really pity those people who have finals about 2 days before Christmas. It’s almost as if there’s not even enough time to get into the Christmas spirit. You’re totally bummed because you bombed the last paper, then suddenly it’s Christmas! Oh joy!

I’m in the process of making my cheat sheets. For those of you who don’t know what a cheat sheet is, it’s basically that piece of paper which has your formulae that you can bring into the exam hall for reference. Really, it’s like a floatation device….a lifesaver. And like every floatation device, it better be in perfect working condition. Miss a formula or copy one down incorrectly, you’re as good as not having the sheet at all. I’ve been there before, and it’s not pretty.

Back to the festive season, I guess the only time I feel really festive is when I walk into a shopping mall or the grocery store. You’ve got Ella Fitzgerald belting out Silent Night over the in-house sound system, people selling pine trees in the parking lot and all the wonderful lights and color combinations of green with red are everywhere. I head home and it’s back to the same ol’ same ol’.

Christmas time is also a great time to do your shopping. It’s the time when America spends most of its money buying gifts. Vendors know it, that’s why they slash prices like crazy and offer really great bargains.

I guess the craziest bargain out there to date is the price drop that Nikon imposed on the Nikon D2H digital SLR. Just a few days ago, it was going for $3200 brand new. Now, it can be taken home at a cool $1999.95. That’s a $1200 price drop! I guess it’s a marketing tactic to boost the sales of the new Nikon D2X which will ship sometime next year. But at that price, I’m already thinking of selling off my D100 and trading up to the D2H. It’s a sweet sweet camera.

Ah, Nikon Acquisition Syndrome (NAS) has hit me once again. I’ve got to say that photography is a really expensive hobby. Especially if you’re a techie freak like me who wants to have the newest technology your disposal. I truly believe that you can take outstanding photos with a cheap disposable camera. But really, there’s only so many kinds of photos you can take with that piece of cheap plastic. Good photography requires some degree of control over your equipment, but that kind of control comes with a (hefty) price tag.



In a Steve Irwin accent : Ain't she a beeeaaauty!!
Free Hit Counter
Visitors since 20/10/2004