Friday, December 17, 2004

Wonders of Technology

I just got myself a really nice Christmas present in the form of a tricked out Nikon lens. I had to sell a lens and a camera just to afford it but it was well worth it. I got the 70-200mm f2.8G AFS VR ED lens, which many say is the best telephoto zoom lens that Nikon has ever made.

The lens arrived this afternoon via FedEx. Since it arrived i've been playing around with it. Goodness and to think I have a Psych final in a couple of hours. What impeccable timing!

The really cool thing about this lens is that it features Vibration Reduction (VR). It's like the "Steady Shot" feature on Sony Handycams and Image Stabilization (IS) on Canon cameras. It eliminates the effects of camera shake when taking pictures, so images come out sharp and not blurred due to slower shutter speeds. This eliminates the use of tripods in most shooting situations. I've tried it out and it really works. Amazing!

The other cool thing about this lens is that it features AF-S which is Silent Wave Auto Focus. The AF on this lens operates through pulsating waves generated by the camera that moves the optical elements. In contrast to the motor-driven autofocus, AFS is vitually silent.

Gee, now I gotta look for things to shoot....oh wait. I've got a Psych Final at 7. Darn it!


Welcome to the family....



Free Hit Counter
Visitors since 20/10/2004