Monday, January 03, 2005

Back on "Home" soil.

It's great to be back even thought I had a really great trip down south. We drove from Michigan all the way down to the southernmost part of the United States, which is at Key West, Florida. 24 plus hours of driving...each way. Tons of things happened but I'll just summarize my trip with....

Some of my observations during my trip to Florida:

1.Burger King doesn’t require employees to wear gloves while making burgers.
Two out of the three Burger King joints we went to had employees using their bare hands to make me my chicken Whopper. That’s gross.

2.Does Florida have a fixed amount for State tax?
I’ve paid for stuff and have been charged 6%, 6.5% and finally 7% for tax. What in the world is going on?

3.Avoid Waffle House diners at all cost.
There’s a reason why people choose not to sit in front of the kitchen and watch their food being prepared. Not only does the chef cook without gloves, he is in desperate need for a manicure. And don’t get me started on the amount of grease in the food. The American version of a mamak stall, period.

4.People from Georgia need to speed up?
Driving through the state of Georgia, I noticed that there were more signs that said “MINIMUM SPEED 45mph” than the usual speed limit signs that tell you to slow down.

5.Why would Americans come to Penang when they have Miami and Key West?
Looking at the beaches of Miami and the Florida Keys I cannot help but wonder why tourists come to Penang to “enjoy” the brown and murky seawater when they have it so much better here. Beaches in Florida have literally crystal clear waters and clean beaches. However the sand isn’t that great.

6.Firecrackers here are exactly like the ones back home.
We stopped by at a firecracker warehouse and saw the grenades, tanks, parachutes, snakes, frogs, pop-pops, black cat sparklers etc. Just like back home. It was like taking a trip down memory lane. They were pretty cheap too! *wink!

7.Johnny Rockets Makes the best burgers ever!
Had lunch at one of them on Ocean Drive in Miami. I highly recommend their Double. It’s the absolute best hamburger I’ve ever had since coming to the States.

8. Florida is a very Hispanic state like Texas
Obviously, since it’s so near Cuba. As a result, Cuban cigars (albeit being illegal), soccer jerseys, and the Spanish language are available in abundance. Oh, and I managed to see some of those stereotypical short and plump Cubans. *grin

9. What's a Cuban Sandwich?
I had one and really it's not that special. It's basically a ham, mayo, lettuce and bacon sub which has been flattened. The only upper hand it has on a regular sub is that it's more user-friendly (better ergonomics) since it's flat.

10. A little play acting will get you into Universal Studios real cheap!
We had to attend this sales meeting for timeshare property in order to get cheap tickets. However, one of us had to pose as a car salesman earning about $23k per year to qualify. We pulled it off and got to go to Universal Studios, Adventure Island and the City Walk for $74 (instead of $100+) and the Kennedy Space Center for $6.00 (instead of $30).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Visitors since 20/10/2004