Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Google me, google you...

Google-ing individuals seems to be the trend nowadays. I guess the internet has grown to a point where if something’s not there, it doesn’t exist. Of course with the exception of a couple of obscure things.

It’s really interesting to dig up what you can find about yourself when you google your name or your username. As for me, I just found myself on a ton of photography sites. Yeah, I do frequent such sites. But just imagine that people can actually learn quite a bit about you if you’re not careful about covering your tracks.

Another rather disturbing thing I found was that someone can actually access your profile that’s listed on the UofM directory without having to be affiliated with the university in any way. I find this rather troubling as now people have access to your mailing address and even phone number. Of course there’s the option of removing that information from your directory listing, but it really defeats the purpose of having the directory in the first place.

I also found that my webpage is accessible through Google. Now should I consider that as an honor or something I should be worried about? I just find it rather unsettling that my blog or photo gallery is out there for the whole world to see. Well, it’s really my bad since those pages are listed on a public domain. I guess it just means that I have to be more careful with what I publish here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Visitors since 20/10/2004