Saturday, January 08, 2005

Mixed Signals & Systems

It’s always a big gamble when registering for classes as the new semester kicks off. One, you don’t really know how much the course demands from you. Two, you don’t know if you’re going to be thrown in with the geniuses of your batch. Finally, the biggest gamble is you really don’t know what kind of professor you’ll be ending up with. Professor selection is crucial because I have found that they are influential to a student’s attitude towards a certain course.

Almost always, the knowledge of getting a professor who’s a foreigner is greeted with moans and groans. There’s the fear that his/her work ethic might be totally different, as in he/her may not be as flexible or chummy as his/her American colleagues. However the biggest fear that students have is getting a professor that is totally incomprehensible.

The teaching staffs that get the most heat from students regarding this matter are the Asians. I constantly get reminded of a prank my friend pulled when he was a TA at the University of Minnesota. He was well aware of the stereotype regarding Asian TAs and GSIs, so he decided to trick his students into believing that he had a very poor command of the English language. Imagine the horror. To the relief of the students he came clean after the first few minutes. I can totally relate to those students at the time. It’s really not a laughing matter.

I’ve had my fair share of eccentric professors. Fortunately for me, I can understand them perfectly well, except for some minor inconsistencies. I had this Russian professor for my EECS 306 class, who looks exactly like Mr. Clean (see pic), that pronounced “zero” as “zeerah”. I really had no idea what he was referring to. I thought it was some Greek symbol, but he kept writing a “0” after saying “zeerah”. Thank God it wasn’t too late for me to realize what he really meant.

This semester, I have a Greek professor, who has a name that’s about 25 letters long, that pronounces “X” as “eeeks”. Not necessarily a bad thing as it helps keep me on my toes during lectures.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! » »

February 15, 2007 9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! lcd screen checker Top spyware remover 87-90 acura legend body kits http://www.football-rules-5.info Tenuate dospan diethylpropion subaru Cartridge compaq print toner

April 24, 2007 6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Visitors since 20/10/2004