If the Shoe Fits...
Hmm…the theme for this week seems to be apparel sizes. I just got myself a t-shirt from church and I made very interesting observation. It seemed that HMCC, being predominantly Asian in terms of membership sort of compensated for that when making the church t-shirts. I asked for a “Small” typical size I ask for, found that it was too small and later found out that even the “Medium” was like body hugging for me. Hah, what a boost to my ego. I ended up with a Large. :P
I’d think that finding the right size would be one of the major concerns I had before coming to the USA, but surprisingly enough, it wasn’t. It isn’t a problem for me when it comes to clothes, but it’s a different story for shoes. I’m really a size 7, but when people ask, I’m a size 8. ;)
When you’re on the border separating the adults from the kids section, with of course a little more weight on the adult’s side (psychological factors counted too!), finding your size can be quite a stressful experience. But I know from listening to others that I’m not having the worst of times with the issue.
It’s also a real morale booster when you discover that you’re a couple of sizes above the cut off point. One case would be yesterday when I was returning my jeans. Apparently my size is a good one to two sizes above the border. Do you have any idea how big that makes me feel? Haha.
Most of the time, it’s not just the size that causes problems. It’s also the proportions that seem to differ from region to region. T-shirts in Asia fit me fine all round. But I’ve noticed that American t-shirts tend to have shorter sleeves and longer bodies. So I’ll either end up with a shirt that has normal sleeves but is as long as my shorts, or a shirt that’s length is just nice but the sleeves are at half my biceps.
It’s hard to draw any conclusion here. Just maybe that Asians and Caucasians are proportioned differently? But people, regardless of ethnicity come in all shapes and sizes. Maybe I’m just hitting all the wrong stores. *Shrug.
I’d think that finding the right size would be one of the major concerns I had before coming to the USA, but surprisingly enough, it wasn’t. It isn’t a problem for me when it comes to clothes, but it’s a different story for shoes. I’m really a size 7, but when people ask, I’m a size 8. ;)
When you’re on the border separating the adults from the kids section, with of course a little more weight on the adult’s side (psychological factors counted too!), finding your size can be quite a stressful experience. But I know from listening to others that I’m not having the worst of times with the issue.
It’s also a real morale booster when you discover that you’re a couple of sizes above the cut off point. One case would be yesterday when I was returning my jeans. Apparently my size is a good one to two sizes above the border. Do you have any idea how big that makes me feel? Haha.
Most of the time, it’s not just the size that causes problems. It’s also the proportions that seem to differ from region to region. T-shirts in Asia fit me fine all round. But I’ve noticed that American t-shirts tend to have shorter sleeves and longer bodies. So I’ll either end up with a shirt that has normal sleeves but is as long as my shorts, or a shirt that’s length is just nice but the sleeves are at half my biceps.
It’s hard to draw any conclusion here. Just maybe that Asians and Caucasians are proportioned differently? But people, regardless of ethnicity come in all shapes and sizes. Maybe I’m just hitting all the wrong stores. *Shrug.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home