Men in Pads and Tights...
Finally and excuse to put the almost 10kgs of equipment I lugged all the way from the US to good use. My first photo op in Penang came in the form of the Penang Downhill Mountain Biking Challenge.
The event was held at the jungle trail behind the Fetty’s Park Market from around 9.30am to about 4pm. I only stayed until about lunchtime.
The weather in Penang that morning was rather unforgiving. The rain came and then subsided, giving a slight glimmer of hope for a dry day, only to return in full force to literally leave our hopes soaking wet. But that didn’t deter me from my covering a biking event for the first time ever. I got myself a raincoat for RM8.50 (which turned out to be a white elephant in the end).
The jungle track leading to the finishing line of the race was absolutely muddied, thanks to the rain which had been continuously pouring since about three days before. I felt like a genius going there in my new Adidas sneakers, one month new Levi’s and a white t-shirt. Before long, my shoes felt like a ton, trapping mud to its soles.
Anyway, the event was delayed a little because of the rain, but went underway soon after I arrived. I was totally fretting over my equipment as rain and electronics don’t go very well together. Thanks to my good friend Yuen Thern who was my umbrella boy (for about 10 mins before abandoning me), I was able to shoot worry-free for a while. After that I had to master the skill of shooting my D-SLR with a 70-200mm f2.8 lens with my right hand, while juggling an umbrella with the other. Not my idea of fun.
I wasn’t totally satisfied with the shoot as due to weather conditions, I wasn’t able to get too many shots out of the event. Quite a number of shots turned up out of focus because of the D-100’s inferior AF. But the ones that were in focus were pretty decent. Another feather in my cap, and another marble in my little bag of photography tricks.


The event was held at the jungle trail behind the Fetty’s Park Market from around 9.30am to about 4pm. I only stayed until about lunchtime.
The weather in Penang that morning was rather unforgiving. The rain came and then subsided, giving a slight glimmer of hope for a dry day, only to return in full force to literally leave our hopes soaking wet. But that didn’t deter me from my covering a biking event for the first time ever. I got myself a raincoat for RM8.50 (which turned out to be a white elephant in the end).
The jungle track leading to the finishing line of the race was absolutely muddied, thanks to the rain which had been continuously pouring since about three days before. I felt like a genius going there in my new Adidas sneakers, one month new Levi’s and a white t-shirt. Before long, my shoes felt like a ton, trapping mud to its soles.
Anyway, the event was delayed a little because of the rain, but went underway soon after I arrived. I was totally fretting over my equipment as rain and electronics don’t go very well together. Thanks to my good friend Yuen Thern who was my umbrella boy (for about 10 mins before abandoning me), I was able to shoot worry-free for a while. After that I had to master the skill of shooting my D-SLR with a 70-200mm f2.8 lens with my right hand, while juggling an umbrella with the other. Not my idea of fun.
I wasn’t totally satisfied with the shoot as due to weather conditions, I wasn’t able to get too many shots out of the event. Quite a number of shots turned up out of focus because of the D-100’s inferior AF. But the ones that were in focus were pretty decent. Another feather in my cap, and another marble in my little bag of photography tricks.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home