The Tale of 3 Generations
Wow, you'd never guess who I had lunch with today....
When I first picked up photography, I knew that it would open new avenues for me. But man, I had no idea it would enrich my social life this well.
Today I met up with two other Free School graduates for some dim sum. One of them graduated from PFS in about 1987, and the other in 1970 (after Form 6!). So yes, there was a pretty big generation gap there. I left in 2000.
So how did I get to know these two people? Well, I'm pretty active in this Malaysian photographers online community. And that's where I met these guys. Both of them are even more into photography than I am. I really thought I knew a lot about the art of photography, but man...these guys are lightyears ahead of me.
The guy who left in 1970 told us a lot about his past in PFS. About how he was the official school photographer at the time. He took photos during school events and developed them himself. He then sold each print for 30 cents. Imagine how much he made considering the fact that 30 cents back then could have bought you a car (just kidding, but you get my drift).
It sure was a good feeling meeting up with people not only with similar academic backgrounds, but also with common interests. We spent most of the time talking about photography and I did catch myself getting lost a couple of times throughout the conversation. I am quite relieved that I didnt have to talk about the downward spiral PFS is experiencing right now. Really, it's a can of worms.
Fortis Atque Fidelis
When I first picked up photography, I knew that it would open new avenues for me. But man, I had no idea it would enrich my social life this well.
Today I met up with two other Free School graduates for some dim sum. One of them graduated from PFS in about 1987, and the other in 1970 (after Form 6!). So yes, there was a pretty big generation gap there. I left in 2000.
So how did I get to know these two people? Well, I'm pretty active in this Malaysian photographers online community. And that's where I met these guys. Both of them are even more into photography than I am. I really thought I knew a lot about the art of photography, but man...these guys are lightyears ahead of me.
The guy who left in 1970 told us a lot about his past in PFS. About how he was the official school photographer at the time. He took photos during school events and developed them himself. He then sold each print for 30 cents. Imagine how much he made considering the fact that 30 cents back then could have bought you a car (just kidding, but you get my drift).
It sure was a good feeling meeting up with people not only with similar academic backgrounds, but also with common interests. We spent most of the time talking about photography and I did catch myself getting lost a couple of times throughout the conversation. I am quite relieved that I didnt have to talk about the downward spiral PFS is experiencing right now. Really, it's a can of worms.
Fortis Atque Fidelis
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home