Sunday, August 07, 2005

Queen of the Desert...

Can someone explain to me Malaysia’s fascination with the transvestite subculture?

Anyway, I spent a good chunk of my time last night at the Equatorial Hotel for my company’s annual dinner. I was quite reluctant to go as I found out on Friday that, one; my friends had dumped me for other things, and two; I was not eligible to take part in the lucky draw.

I related my hesitation to my supervisor who gave me his “look” and that was it. I found myself a good one and a half hours early sitting alone at a 10-chair table.

Later on a couple of my colleagues from the RnD department came along and sat with me. Nice nice. The remaining seats were filled by three elderly Indian women in their traditional sarees. Things were kind of awkward at first but once we started talking I learned that they were pretty good company. I also learned that they were actually some of the first workers of the company. Not bad.

The MC for the night was some strange cross between a man and a woman (note my opening statement). He/She called him/herself Michelle and I will start referring to that person by that name because using “he/she” can be quite annoying. But I must hand it to her because she did a really good job last night, keeping the floor attentive. News has it that Michelle has been hosting the company’s annual dinners for quite a while now.

Apart from the cheesy night-clubbish-cum-fillipino-lounge-band entertainment, there was a beauty pageant. The theme was Ratu Tradisional. And yes, as shocking as it may sound, two of the eight contestants were from the RnD department. I must really be concentrating at work. Hahaha.

The last performance was carried out by KRU. Yes the three brothers Norman, Eddy? And what’s his name? I have no idea. It was kind of a letdown since they didn’t sing their signature songs “Awas”, “Fanatik” or “Oh-La-La”. Or maybe it was a good thing. Instead, they did covers of “This Love-Maroon 5” and “I Can’t Take My Eyes Off of You”. The only thing they did really well was to reduce those Malay female factory floor operators to screaming giggly schoolgirls. *rolls eyes*

Overall it was a pretty entertaining night. Sometimes a little mindless homophobic entertainment can be a great way to take your mind off work. Alright, time to get a workout.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Visitors since 20/10/2004