Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Recap of the Last 90 Island Days.

Wow, it’s been exactly three months now. My “working holiday” will come to an abrupt end in exactly one month’s time. I’m having mixed feelings about returning. I think the Penang charm has sort of worked its voodoo magic on me (hard to believe considering my second last post). But then again, I do have several things to look forward to when I get back ;)

So here’s pretty much what I’ve learned and done so far based on the...

Big Three F’s:

Family
Mom and Dad:
Mom and Dad aren’t getting any younger. They’re in their fifties but I constantly tell them that they act like they’re in their forties. Why? Well, they’re learning to enjoy life a lot more now. Still, some giveaways show like their irritability level’s are up and they’re a little more opinionated now. But I still love them to bits.

Brother:
He’s slowly but surely moving up in his career. Very encouraging indeed. But his generous amounts of girlfriend time isn’t doing our relationship any favors. Alas, who am I but the other son of his mother. :P

Food:
Bah Kut Teh and Laksa have taken the backseat on this trip. My former favorite foods have been relegated by more neutral foods like Wan Tan Mee and Chicken Legs with Mushrooms. Not a very comprehensible tradeoff until you remember that I have been plagued by food poisoning for the past three months. Well, three counts to be exact.

Friends:
Strange things, really.
One, I discovered how “out of sight, out of mind” I am when it comes to friendships. It’s hard to admit this but it’s really true. I guess another phrase for it would be a “philandering friend”? Nasty isn’t it?
Not that I totally disown my friends but what I really am referring to is maintaining communication with friends who are back home while I am away and vice versa. I’m just that kind of person.

I also learned that I’ve forged interesting relationships with existing friends through blogging. Who’d have thought it would turn out that way?

Finally, I don’t know what to make of this. I seem to distance myself from my female friends who have found their respective life counterparts. Even when they’re around only for a short period of time, I haven’t felt the urgency to meet up with them. Maybe it’s out of respect for their boyfriends?

I’ve also made new friends through my interest in photography. Partly because the photographic community in Penang is rather small, so it isn’t too hard to click. Bonding through common interest is so cool.

-------------------------
My trip back to Penang has been pretty productive. Among other pluses, I’ve learned a lot from my internship and I’ve an additional something to spruce up my resume. Questions about my future here is a constant thorn in my side. But I know for sure that there’ll always be a place for me here.

Gosh I sound like I’m leaving already…

5 Comments:

Blogger shades said...

Elo!

When exactly you're leaving?

August 03, 2005 8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Read lar. Exactly one month after the post.

August 03, 2005 8:58 PM  
Blogger wILz said...

hmmn..exactly one month and you will be leaving...and i still didn't get to meet up with you this round.

I've to admit that i'm just too lousy in keeping touch :(

August 04, 2005 9:37 PM  
Blogger Leslie Yim said...

eerr..where does your 'Brother' fit into the Big 3 Fs? anyway, don't feel so bad la..when you come back permanently (i'm assuming already..hehe) next time..things will be better :) btw, somehow i feel the pinch bout you mentioning your female friends :p

August 05, 2005 4:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wilz:
Still got time lar, one month more. No worries.

Leslie:
So you understand the 3F's thingy now? Yeah you know what I'm talking about right?

August 05, 2005 12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Visitors since 20/10/2004