Tuesday, August 09, 2005

To Build a Team.

Today was the day I was kind of excited about for quite a while now. My team of engineers had organized a team building event for our group. So instead of going to the factory today, we headed up to the End of the World. We were going to hike up to Pantai Kerachut and then end with lunch together.

The hike up was pretty boring to be honest. Well, it was a cakewalk compared to my short hike to Level 6 (Penang Hill) on Sunday. Still, one of the more senior women engineers almost pulled out from heat exhaustion. I guess getting married and having kids does take out a lot from a person. But I should add that it works out differently for different people.

Anyway, the last time I went to Pantai Kerachut was about 3-4 years ago with Alex, Yao Hua and Willie. We hiked up to Monkey Beach, which is a cove right next to Pantai Kerachut and got kind of stranded there as we experienced inclement weather. Anyway, we got hold of a boatman’s wife who called her husband (named Atan), who finally delivered us safely out of the cove on his motorized sampan. Those were really good times.

The team reached our destination after about and hour and fifteen minutes of trekking. I was so relieved to find a row of outhouses there as my roti canai became milkshake throughout the trek. We didn’t do much at the beach as most of us (the 6 women that went) preferred to just sit, talk and munch. The others played cards and played a little “monkey” with each other.

After about an hour, we backtracked all the way to our starting point. Then we headed over to the City Bayview hotel in town for some Japanese food. I was really apprehensive of the idea because who in their right mind would go for fine dining immediately after 3 hours of jungle trekking? Thank goodness I brought my deodorant.

Actually I was glad that I went because the food was just awesome. Since Rasa Sayang closed for renovation, the staff of their venerable Japanese restaurant moved over to the one in City Bayview. So basically it was like eating at Rasa Sayang. Just as good. I’m going for the buffet (weekends) real soon. *burp!

As a trainee, I didn’t have a team building stipend. So it was assumed that I would have to pay for my share of the bill. I was actually in luck as after the lunch, the bill was still RM160 shy of the cumulative budget. So free unajyu for me! Banzai!

Everyone was so bent on spending every single cent of the allotted budget that we decided to head over to the Penang Bowl to have a bowling session. My supervisor and I were kind of tired and wanted to leave early, so about 45 mins into the bowling, we left.

Overall I’d say that the team building was a success. I managed to get my company to pay for another meal (today and the annual dinner), when they weren’t supposed to. And of course I got to know my team members a little bit better. Cos really, that’s the whole point of it, right? Erm...the latter I mean.


Do we feel like a family now?! Do we really?

2 Comments:

Blogger Danny Chen said...

1. how in tarnation you get hold of a boatman's wife in the middle of a forest reserve?!

2. I din know that you called yourself one of the ladies! :)

3. Japanese buffet! Can't I join huh? Can i???

August 10, 2005 12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. There's a plot of land with two abandoned houses on Monkey Beach. Atan's wife operates her food stall in one of them.

2. Bad grammar. My bad. :P

3. Jap Buffet? Maybe one round before I leave. Heavy on the wallet though...RM75 per pax.

August 11, 2005 2:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Visitors since 20/10/2004