Freshmen Folly
One phrase to capture what the situation is like right now would be “They get stranger and stranger each year”.
I just have to say a couple of things about the freshmen that came in this semester after hearing so many things about their wonderful batch. In a way it reminds me of how I was once….way back when I was still a greenhorn. But a lot less naïve, honestly.
Case 1: Girl Meets Boy.
Ok, so I attend this open house organized by a fellow senior and see this white guy getting really comfy with this malay girl. Ok, white guy in a Malaysian open house…kind of strange, but it has happened before. But this white guy’s pretty physical with this Malay girl. Now that’s something to talk about.
Then I hear that they’re like an item and she’s going to visit his home in another state for winter break. Boy do relationships move fast nowadays. Certainly breaks the record of a sleep-in SPG sophomore last year.
What should have been done:
Slooooow things down girl. Does he know that he has to lose part of himself later on?
Case 2: Cellular Crutch
Yes, yes, everyone in Malaysia has a handphone. So naturally you’d get one when you relocate to the States, right? But would you get one if you had to plunk down US$500 as a deposit and never see it for a year? That’s what the freshies did. Got themselves handphones within less than a month of being here when their dorms do come complete with a working land line.
What should have been done:
They should wait for about 4 months to build their credit history and then get a line without having to pay the deposit. T-mobile’s sucking off interest from your $500 while you have to skip meals. Besides, do you even have enough people to call to justify paying $50 a month in phone bills?
Case 3: American Already?
I picked up the phone this evening only to be greeted by a ABC, whom I thought was from my church. She certainly sounded like one. But guess what… it turned out to be a freshman. After being persistent with my Manglish, she buckled and the “lohs” and “mahs” returned. Heck, you’ve only been here for about a month, and you jolly well know that I’m a fellow Malaysian. What the heck is that?!
What should have been done
Need I say more?
Case 4: Going Around on 2 Wheels
I was told that a bunch of them bought bicycles. Gosh, who orientated you guys? P. Ramlee? Out of the 8 months of academia here at the U of M, you’re going to see 4 good months of snow and slush. Besides that, the bus service here on campus is THE way to get around.
What should have been done:
Use the $80 you spent on the bike to buy a senior dinner. Then you’ll get a good meal and be a lot wiser afterwards.
Ok, enough self-righteous pummeling. I’m sure there’ll be more stories soon…
I just have to say a couple of things about the freshmen that came in this semester after hearing so many things about their wonderful batch. In a way it reminds me of how I was once….way back when I was still a greenhorn. But a lot less naïve, honestly.
Case 1: Girl Meets Boy.
Ok, so I attend this open house organized by a fellow senior and see this white guy getting really comfy with this malay girl. Ok, white guy in a Malaysian open house…kind of strange, but it has happened before. But this white guy’s pretty physical with this Malay girl. Now that’s something to talk about.
Then I hear that they’re like an item and she’s going to visit his home in another state for winter break. Boy do relationships move fast nowadays. Certainly breaks the record of a sleep-in SPG sophomore last year.
What should have been done:
Slooooow things down girl. Does he know that he has to lose part of himself later on?
Case 2: Cellular Crutch
Yes, yes, everyone in Malaysia has a handphone. So naturally you’d get one when you relocate to the States, right? But would you get one if you had to plunk down US$500 as a deposit and never see it for a year? That’s what the freshies did. Got themselves handphones within less than a month of being here when their dorms do come complete with a working land line.
What should have been done:
They should wait for about 4 months to build their credit history and then get a line without having to pay the deposit. T-mobile’s sucking off interest from your $500 while you have to skip meals. Besides, do you even have enough people to call to justify paying $50 a month in phone bills?
Case 3: American Already?
I picked up the phone this evening only to be greeted by a ABC, whom I thought was from my church. She certainly sounded like one. But guess what… it turned out to be a freshman. After being persistent with my Manglish, she buckled and the “lohs” and “mahs” returned. Heck, you’ve only been here for about a month, and you jolly well know that I’m a fellow Malaysian. What the heck is that?!
What should have been done
Need I say more?
Case 4: Going Around on 2 Wheels
I was told that a bunch of them bought bicycles. Gosh, who orientated you guys? P. Ramlee? Out of the 8 months of academia here at the U of M, you’re going to see 4 good months of snow and slush. Besides that, the bus service here on campus is THE way to get around.
What should have been done:
Use the $80 you spent on the bike to buy a senior dinner. Then you’ll get a good meal and be a lot wiser afterwards.
Ok, enough self-righteous pummeling. I’m sure there’ll be more stories soon…
1 Comments:
You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it http://www.lift-chairs-3.info Shemale taking a pee Charles phillips uk business credit reports risk scores online training Lab0ratory sink faucets Battery for canon eos 300d camera Better than ultram stop smoking Propane fireplace ceramic log heater How to make dry ice fog machine inexpensive large area rugs casino baccarat
Post a Comment
<< Home