Wednesday, November 02, 2005

The D200 Has Landed...and I'm Found Lusting.


Image from DPreview.com

Ah, so as predicted, the Nikon D200 along with some extra Nikon Christmas goodies were officially announced. Some pundits were wrong, and some where right.

The strangest thing was claims from a guy who said that he saw the D200 being used in Argentina before the official release date. And he was actually right. The test images used in Nikon’s website were taken in Argentina. But imagine the ridicule he must have gone through. Who’d have thought?

Anyway, I’m stuck with my trusty old Nikon D100. It’s Nov 1st and it’s still working. Didn’t self destruct after seeing me staring longingly at the D200 image on my computer screen.

Anyway, I decided to take the old timer out for a treat. I gave him a hot pixel remapping treatment. Hot pixels are those bright red/blue/green pixels that constantly appear in your images no matter what settings you use. The only way to fix them, instead of cloning them out in Photoshop, is to remap them.

The remapping software I obtained is apparently one that got leaked out from some Nikon source. It’s the same one Nikon service centers use to fix returned cameras and charge US$340 for the service. And I got mine done for free. Now my D100 doesn’t show any more hot/stuck pixels at high shutter speeds. Some at low shutter speeds but that’s normal for CCDs.

Back to the Nikon D200….
I have decided to wait and not rush into it. The official ship date is around the 16th of December (just in time for Christmas). But I shall be patient and wait for the official reviews, the discovery of the bugs and the release of the bug fixes before I seriously consider adding this baby to my arsenal.

But the biggest gripe I have about this camera is that it’s MADE IN THAILAND and not Japan like its professional brothers. Yes, I do stereotype a lot when it comes to where my electronics are made. And I believe I have good reason to. But we’ll save that for another debate. Now I have to figure out how to raise some cash…

Mom! Dad! I want a graduation present!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Visitors since 20/10/2004